County: New Haven
Size: 40.0 sq mi
History: The area that now comprises Southbury was purchased from Paugussett Indians in 1659. Originally part of Woodbury, it became its own town in 1787 and picked a very different town name to differentiate itself. In the 1800’s the town harnessed the power of the Pomeraug and Housatonic rivers to power a number of mills. They, like most other mills, have since closed.
Something Weird: The Shepaug Dam is, for some odd reason, a popular hang out for bald eagles. The company which runs the hydroelectric plant on the river operates an eagle observation deck so people can check out the American-ness of our national symbol. There are other birds that check that area out like red-tailed hawks, but let’s be honest, people come to see the eagle.